Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Phase I, Day 5

********************

Breakfast: cucumber slices with baba ghanoush; can of V-8

Midmorning snack: healthy spoonful of almond butter; cup of green tea

Lunch: tofu/cashew veggie stir-fry [from Food Court]

Midafternoon snack: 4 brazil nuts

Dinner: chili with dollop of sour cream and cheese [restaurant meal]

Exercise: if walking counts, then 1.5 miles walking

********************

My first cheat! For dinner, I asked the waitress to hold the "3 grain medley" they normally serve the chili over, but didn't ask them to hold the cheese and sour cream. I considered spooning the dairy aside, but my economic vote had already been cast so I didn't see the point. I just ate it. (This is the same argument for why I keep wearing my decade-old leather. But who am I kidding? That dairy tasted goooooooooood!) The chili also had carrots and corn in it, which I didn't expect. But the meal itself was undoubtedly very low GI anyway, given all the various beans and other veggies in the chili. And the reason to avoid carrots and corn is supposedly because they cause "cravings." Since I've never had "cravings" for carbs, I didn't worry about it. For *me*, the reason to avoid the high GI carbs is that they have high calories, without the compensating virtue of filling me up.

I felt physically fine today. Walked the mile and a half to work, but no other exercise (if walking to work counts as "exercise" anyway--I didn't break a sweat). Today, I dreaded the thought of another salad. I went out for chili because I couldn't bear the thought of more raw vegetables. And I can't say I'm feeling any thinner at all, sadly. But then again, it's only Day 5.

No comments: