Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Phase 2, Day 46

********************

Breakfast: a handful of pecans

Midmorning snack: small can of V-8; mug of green tea

Lunch: eggplant parmesan for Staff Appreciation Day (I tried to get bits without the cheese) [catered meal]

Midafternoon snack: a small cup of champagne to celebrate a friend getting his Ph.D.

Dinner: tofu stir-fry; diet Snapple lime green tea [from Food Court]

Late night snack: far, far too many wasabi green peas

Exercise: walked to work and back

********************

I'm reaching the vertigo stage of this diet, where the nearer I get to my goal, the farther away it seems. I only have about five more pounds to go, and I definitely am smaller and look better. Several people have commented that I seem to have lost a lot of weight. You would think this kind of positive feedback would make things easier, but ironically it's kind of demotivating. I think, "I look pretty good. Why should I kill myself for another five measly pounds? Will it really make much of a difference?"

And I don't have a good answer to that. Five pounds probably *won't* make that much of a difference. This fact makes it hard to turn down things like delicious, greasy eggplant parmesan. And it explains why I've been eating much closer to my maintenance level (though still below it... a bit) for the last couple of weeks. Is this the real reason the last few pounds are, famously, the hardest to lose? Not a failure of metabolism, but a failure of motivation?

Maybe I should go back to Phase I for a week. [Cringe]

No comments: