Sunday, March 21, 2004

Phase 2, Day 16

********************

Breakfast: Gardenburger flamegrilled patty with guac; mug of black tea

Lunch: lentil stew with 1 T hemp oil; mug of green tea

Dinner: chickpeas with spinach; 2 papadum; glass of white wine

Exercise: none

********************

Tonight was the first time I've had booze on this diet. Like the first time I had sweets, it was disappointing. Maybe, of course, the wine was crap. Given that my boyfriend and I balk at spending more than five bucks a bottle, this wouldn't be surprising. But maybe I'm just losing my taste for the rotten things I used to eat without thinking.

I was idly thinking today, "I only have to be on this diet for another six weeks!" when suddenly, I realized I'm not sure what it will mean for me *not* to be on this diet. I mean, I'll eat more calories, certainly. Probably, this will mean I'll eat one or even two additional "meals" a day (like a protein shake after running). But I've really adapted to not having carbs be the centerpiece of my meals. For instance, I can't imagine eating the dish I made tonight with more than the 1/2 c brown rice I served it over. And I can no longer imagine enjoying eating to the point where I'm uncomfortably stuffed. I guess I can imagine indulging in the occasional dessert, or beer, or mashed potatoes. But right now, at this very moment, none of those sound especially appealing. Meaning I simply don't feel like I'm on a diet right now. I just feel like I'm eating the way I want to be eating. Amazing, huh?

No comments: